Skip to main content

School Permit Information

How does my child get a school permit (minor school license) at BCLUW?

Student Requirements:

• student is at least 14 1/2 years old.

• has completed an Iowa-approved driver education course.

• holds a valid instruction permit and maintain a clean driving record for at least six consecutive months immediately before applying for your minor school license.

Once these requirements are met, you may...

1. Review the "What Can I Do" and "What Can't I Do" section with your child.  Contact Superintendent Ben Petty with any additional questions, clarification, or if you have any unique circumstances you wish to discuss in regards to a school permit.

2. Request an "Affidavit for a Minor School License" from Superintendent Ben Petty, who will sign and either email to you or send home via mail or with the student.  You can make this request by calling 641-366-2819 or emailing

3.  Once you have the signed Affidavit, the parent should fill out the rest of the form.  You and the student will need to take this form, the student's instructional permit, and proof of completion of Drivers Education to the DOT in order to then receive the Minor School License.